Wednesday, September 23, 2009

Comfort Food: Macaroni and Cheese

One of blogs that I follow, Our Best Bites, had an entry this week on comfort foods, actually a recipe for chicken pot pie that looks terrific.  I love this site, by the way. Anyhow, the authors, Sara and Kate, mention that they haven't found the perfect recipe for macaroni and cheese.  Well, I'm not sure that this is the perfect recipe, but it is definitely my family's favorite.

     2 lb box of elbow pasta
     2-3 blocks of extra sharp cheddar cheese, cut into small cubes
     6-8 cups milk
     2 eggs
     salt and pepper to taste
     paprika

Cook pasta according to package instructions.  Layer pasta, cheese, pasta, cheese in 2 medium sized casserole dishes.  This is a double recipe...my family REALLY likes it alot.  In a bowl, beat eggs with a fork.  Add milk, salt, and pepper.  Pour milk mixture over pasta and cheese.  The milk should not completely cover the pasta, but be just visible as you look down through the pasta and cheese (so maybe a half inch from the top of the pasta).  Sprinkle top with paprika.

 
See the depth of the milk?

 Bake at 350 degrees for 50-60 minutes until top is lightly browned.

Plain and Simple.

Yummy!


4 comments:

  1. Thanks for posting that Britta! Yes, we are still on the hunt for THE one. This one looks nice and easy- thanks for sharing!

    By the way, I love your name. I was watching a show just the other day (Community I think?) where the character's name was Britta and I remember thinking, hmm, pretty name!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This looks easy and yummy! Thanks for sharing =)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Thanks for the Mac n Cheese recipe. It looks really good. Gotta try it.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This looks yummy. I'm not sure how much cheese you mean when you say "2-3 blocks of cheese." How big is each block supposed to be?

    ReplyDelete